Monday, May 24, 2010

They've also got this really big canyon there, I don't know if you've heard of it

So I am just now back at home after a nearly week-long family vacation to Arizona, also known affectionately as "God's oven." There were seven of us treading the sands and gravel: myself, my parents, my sister, her husband, and his parents. We spent several nights in Flagstaff, two nights at the rim of the Grand Canyon, and one night in Phoenix, all the while uttering prayers of thanks to the man who invented air conditioning. (Willis Haviland Carrier, for those of you keeping score at home.)


The thing you have to understand about Arizona is that it is an actual Goddamn alien landscape—at least to people from the Midwest. There's no grass, mountains everywhere, trees that look like nightmarish experiments in botany, a blazing eye of death in the sky, and all the while it is so incredibly dry that you could have used my skin to light matches on.

But, yes, it is also unbelievably gorgeous, and as soon as I get my hands on some of the many many many pictures I took, you will be seeing some of that gorgeous...ity.

Right now I am just glad to be back in Minnesota, where the air is nice and moist, the lawns are green and growing, and the temperature is a comfy...90 degrees?!? What the hell, Mother Nature??

No comments:

Post a Comment