Sunday, April 18, 2010

Because I love the taste of innocence as it dies, that's why

Hey, there's a lady in a nearby school district who wants to ban every volume of Jeff Smith's comic series Bone because it features smoking, drinking, violence, and fixing horse-races! (Well, okay, cow-races, technically.) You know what, lady? Not only did I have a group of 4th, 5th, and 6th-grade boys read and talk about the first volume of that series as part of a library reading group, I'm going to be a librarian myself!

That's right! I will be the one corrupting your children with the ten-time-Eisner-winning, eleven-time-Harvey-winning, one-of-Time-magazine's-Top-Ten-Graphic-Novels-of-All-Time series Bone! Listen to me cackle as they witness characters drinking beer! Watch my eyes glimmer with evil as I distribute copies of this evil book, in which the layabout Smiley Bone smokes a cigar! You send your children to the library, thinking they are safe—but you are wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment